06 March 2008

Brothers and Sisters... can you spare a dime?

AAAHHHH! I am behind in my blogging! I have overdue library books... quel horreur! And, I nearly had an overdue movie rental tonight. I am slipping. In addition to this volunteering adventure, I have also started a new job. I am an Executive Director in a wildly exciting nonprofit. Get on board folks... it is going to be a wild ride the next few months!

My thoughts for today...

Brothers and Sisters can you spare a dime?

How does one decide where to give?

Do you run into people who ask you for money? If you are in a city, you might think of a homeless person. I am guessing the emotions that come up are not positive… thinking about someone on the street asking you for money might conjure confusion, anger, empathy, or sadness. If I said the person was me, and your investment could change the lives of thousands, you might have a different thought in your head.

My husband and I recently decided upon our yearly giving. I feel like I missed the day where I learned about what is “right” when it comes to giving monetary gifts, but I am trying to make up for it. We are committing 5% of our gross income to our community in 2008. It’s a start.

Now, I am asking YOU for a dime or whatever you can muster.

I am a new Executive Director in the nonprofit world. I lead an organization called Oregon Campus Compact. We are a membership organization of colleges and universities across Oregon who believe in the transformative power of service.

My organization, Oregon Campus Compact, leverages financial and people resources which gets students and faculty into communities. ORCC offers AmeriCorps Members, training, technical assistance, and pass through grants towards this end.

We raise the voice of every student across the state towards addressing our community’s most pressing needs. We want to students to graduate with an education in community.

So why would you want to send a donation to this effort? Because…
- you can be part of something big, something that transforms. (That will feel very good.)
- I will take good care of your investment and hey... you like what I am doing here.
- We need YOU.

Please offer what you can to:

Oregon Campus Compact
c/o Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207

Checks can me made out to: Oregon Campus Compact. You will receive an acknowledgement for your records as your donation will be tax deductible as allowed by federal law.

Thank you for your investment in this work.

No comments: