21 March 2008

Stand for Change.

The most difficult part of service and volunteerism is not getting up early or making the time... It's not the sweat that is sometimes required... the most difficult part of volunteerism is making change that lasts... it's looking someone in the eye and being able to relay back to them that their needs will be taken care of not for now, but for always.

I can serve thousands of people a meal, but is that addressing the root cause of their hunger? I can build a hundred houses, but will that address the root cause of homelessness? I am at a point in my life when I need answers to those questions. I see a need for increased dialog in our communities about why people are hungry. I see a need for increased dialog about why we have such division of wealth in our country. I see a need for discussion and ACTION so the root causes of suffering are addressed!

Over the last two days I have had an amazing opportunity to listen to a few of our future political leaders about how to create lasting change. No doubt change sometimes has to happen at a policy level. Yesterday I went to a Portland Mayor’s debate. I was listening for action and next steps more than platitudes. I got some action steps. I am interested in hearing more about how new city leadership will address our pressing needs (and I want to hear less drama about polls.)

Today I rolled out of bed and waited for over 3 hours to hear Barack Obama speak in Portland. One friend woke up at 2am to make sure she was there at the front of the line. (K you are AMAZING!) I was definitely not that motivated. Getting on a bus at 6:30am seemed like enough of an effort. I have to say, seeing the crowd that turned out early to make sure they were in the room is prime evidence of people's interest in change.

I was listening for action. I was listening for next steps. And I was listening for the leadership that can call us to action. Wouldn’t it be great if communities all over the country came together to talk and act so that we all are safe, healthy, and full of life?

This fellow can take us there. He is inspiring without question and substantive without measure.

(I love taking pictures and wish I had taken these, but I found them on Flickr taken by another person at this morning's rally.)

TOTAL VOLUNTEER HOURS as of 3/21 = 55.5