06 April 2008

Did April start like a lion or lamb?

The first week of April was a busy one! I reconnected with my SMART students after they had a week off for Spring Break. They had energy before, but after a week off? WOW!

Wednesday evening I double booked the evening with volunteer trainings. First I stopped in at the Cascade AIDS Project for a volunteer training for their big Art Auction that my husband, his father, and I participated in last night. Then, I headed to North Portland to a training with AKA Science. I will soon be a volunteer science teacher in an after-school program for 3rd and 4th graders.

Thursday, I spent the day with a volunteer team from Wieden + Kennedy. W+K have produced some of the most amazing communication campaigns for Nike, Starbucks, and many other common name companies. As part of their Founder’s Day, 300 employees dispersed to 10 or so projects around the city organized by Hands On Greater Portland. I lead the project at Multnonmah Arts Center with 25 or so folks from W+K. MAC is a great organization that offers community-based arts education. The W+K folks painted a stage, organized costumes, cleaned windows, and worked in a children’s art room. Everyone got along beautifully. There was plenty of work to do. Folks felt like they accomplished a lot in their few hours and then they were all greeted with beer as they got back on the bus to go home. I like the way they work!

Lion or lamb? Not sure but there was a whole lot of volunteerin’ goin’ on.

Hours as of 4/4/08: 79
2 months gone and I am volunteering an average of darn near 10 hours a week.

1 comment:

B-Prime said...

Renny from W+K - thank you for the opportunity to work with you at the Arts Center! We had a blast, and our work shirts weren't a "one-off" - we'll be out doing more stuff, so hopefully we'll cross paths again!!