28 April 2008

Week 2 of science fun

After I discovered the students in the science class had unbridled energy when class started at 3:15pm, this week we started with going outside and researching clouds. Part of the research was to run really, really fast while taking notice of the different kinds of clouds in the sky (while also paying attention to large obstacles on the playground). After running around for a bit, we went inside and got to the business of learning about thunderstorms (which rarely happen in Oregon... some of the students had never heard thunder!)

This week they made Leyden jars to create static electricity and chewed up wintergreen lifesavers in the dark observing little flashes of light as the sugar molecules got broken up. Science IS fun.

Things are still going well with my SMART reading... every Tuesday for an hour I read with a 1st grader then a 2nd grader. I am getting quite up to date on hip kids' books.

The school put on Annie last week. One of the students I read with was "orphan in the 2nd row, third from the left." When I asked her what her favorite Annie song was, she started singing "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" and broke into dance as we walked down the hall. I can't imagine a better way to spend a Tuesday afternoon!

TOTAL VOLUNTEER HOURS AS OF 4/26/08: 93 hours

No comments: