28 April 2008

Do you wear earrings sometimes?

Do you wear earrings sometimes? Are you married? Do you have a daughter named Olivia? Do you have a son?

And so begins my stint as an after school science instructor!

I can’t say that anyone has ever asked me about my earring wearing habits within moments of meeting me. Even before the “what’s your name” part. I guess that is where a 3rd grader’s mind lives… good to know.

Week 1 (which was two weeks ago! I am behind in my writing… I've had some crazy work weeks!) included talking about weather disasters. One boy student likes to whip out whatever science lingo he has when I ask a question. I asked “what is the coldest recorded temperature?” He answered, “are you talking about Earth or another planet?” I said “good question… Earth.” He then said, “I think it is negative 122.72 degrees Fahrenheit.” I am not sure I knew Fahrenheit in 3rd grade, but maybe I did. I appreciate his use of decimals and multi-syllabic words whenever he gets the chance.

Of course the other three students are throwing things at each other… seeing which can scream louder… and “racing” each other whenever we are walking from one place to another. There is no order in this court.

Here are the class rules (developed mostly by the students):
• No torturing the class animals
• Don’t be reckless
• Have fun (that one was mine)
• No yelling (I think that one was mine, too)
• No farting (not one of my rules, but I do appreciate it.)

And we are off on a science adventure!

No comments: