20 May 2008

It's Primary Day!

Hello Friends!

Today is May 20th and if you haven't heard, it's Primary Day in Oregon. If you are in town, then you know it is hard not to trip over a candidate (or a former President!) On Sunday, I had the pleasure of volunteering with Bill and Chelsea Clinton at the I Have A Dream Foundation in Portland. I have to say, just knowing that the Hillary campaign wanted to volunteer in our community made me happy. I think service is important and so do they... here are his comments .

I wanted to participate in the project because Bill Clinton was the President who signed the National Service Bill establishing him as the "Father of AmeriCorps". I was in AmeriCorps when Bill (now I can call him that because we are tight!) was President. When he walked up and shook my hand, the only thing I could say was, "we are all current or former AmeriCorps Members and we thank you for the experience." I think he said "Yea, I gathered that." There you have it... my first encounter with a President!

I am glad that Bill didn't ask who I was voting for or what I had planned that afternoon, because from there I went to the Obama rally in Portland. Over 75,000 Portlanders turned out to hear Obama speak. Now if we could just get him to volunteer!

1 comment:

Mom2Miles said...

That Bill, what a player! Look at him with his arm around you!

"I am glad that Bill didn't ask who I was voting for or what I had planned that afternoon, because from there I went to the Obama rally in Portland."

HA! What he doesn't know won't hurt him.