17 February 2008

AmeriCorps Alums Oregon

I am involved with AmeriCorps Alums Oregon, our local AmeriCorps Alumni chapter. A team of us have been building this entity for the last two years and a bit. Our database shows a good few hundred Alumni who have participated in social endeavors, service projects, trainings, and the like.

Saturday was one of our monthly service projects. This month we volunteered at the Rebuilding Center. The Rebuilding Center is a great building supply nonprofit that recycles building materials and sells them to the community. This place has materials with character! Knobs, tile, windows, wood; all saved from landfills. Our house boasts raised garden beds from recycled wood from the Rebuilding Center. My fella has also built a picnic table from finds at the Rebuilding Center. It is a great place to get materials for your home project, but also a great place to volunteer.

The task was to reorganize donated tile. There were 16 hands dedicated to the project so the load was light. I couldn't stay for the whole three hour project, but I did get in my 1.

Sunday included work on Alums stuff; both national and local. I wrote up notes from our 2/14 exec team meeting and worked on recruiting volunteers for an Alums OR project that I am planning on March 1st.

Total Volunteer Hours as of 2/17/08: 17.25
Average of almost 2 hours a day in the first 9 days. It's happening and I am tired in the best way possible.

No comments: