09 February 2008

So it begins...

Yesterday was the official start and I am off and running!

I have the pleasure of sitting on a few volunteer boards and yesterday I had a committee meeting for one of them. I serve on the Oregon Commission on Voluntary Action and Service and on their resource development committee. I will speak about the other boards as they come up.

A Commission exists in most states as it is the entity that receives and distributes funds for AmeriCorps and often leads statewide volunteer initiatives. I sat on the Maryland Commission for 5 years and it was one of the best experiences I have had as a volunteer. I appreciate having the opportunity to see things on a bigger scale from time to time. AmeriCorps changed my life. I completed two years of service over ten years ago. I am happy to do whatever to keep AmeriCorps thriving.

So, yesterday was a meeting of our resource development committee. We are figuring out how to raise money for the Commission. I don't have much to say about the experience. An hour... check.

TOTAL VOLUNTEER HOURS: 1

1 comment:

Mom2Miles said...

What an awesome project! You go, Emily! I look forward to following along. BTW, I linked to you from my blog. Good luck!