25 February 2008

The Value of Service

I define values as things that one can’t justify. When I think of my values, service is there at the top. It might not make sense to others why I would leave work to go volunteer and get home after 8 at night. It might not make sense why I would spend a sunny weekend day out pulling ivy, an invasive species that is choking trees across the city. It might not make sense. I mean it might make sense here and there, but nearly every day? That is crazy!

I believe in the power of service to transform others. There is research out there that says if students volunteer they are better citizens… they vote and participate in community activities. There are academic outcomes when service is incorporated in a curriculum. Now, I don’t think it is exactly figured out yet what makes some service activities transformative, but those exist. Right? Some people have an experience and they can’t go back. (Write me back in the comments and tell me about yours.)

I can point to volunteering in high school at the Red Cross. I had to complete 75 hours of service to graduate. My mom set me up at the Red Cross because I was terrified to call them myself. I loved the experience. People gave me things to do and when I did what they asked, they would smile. I could connect with people and I didn’t have to say a word. I had their respect just because I was there. I learned more in one summer than in any given class in school. I was hooked.

I believe in the power of service to transform me. My own tragedy comes from a loss of people dear to me… both too young… both too fast. I lost part of me then and I can’t say I have felt really happy for over 13 years. I’ve made stupid decisions because I thought I deserved to be sad. Now, I have made some good decisions and I have had some good days, but I have not felt this good in over 13 years. I believe without any doubt that my service is the reason for this difference. It is like waking up from a dream.

I believe in the power of service to transform communities. So far in this “project” I am not sure if I am transforming communities. A wonderful leader in the nonprofit sector, Bill Shore, says that working in community is like building a cathedral, the work is not always realized in one’s lifetime. I want to be part of something big. I know I can’t always know that this is making a difference, but maybe it just is!

No comments: