05 February 2008

Why the heck?

When I lived in Baltimore, it was part of my job to volunteer. I would pop around town to our different projects and wherever I went, I ran into G. One night I asked G if he volunteers every day. He said, "yes, when I can't find a project I fix sandwiches and pass them out to people who need them." Not only did G volunteer every day, he also brought dozens of cookies that he had freshly baked that morning to share with volunteers. He didn't make a huge batch of cookie dough and freeze it... he made cookies every day to take to volunteer projects. I asked him why he does what he does and he simply said, "I want to help others like they have helped me." I think of Gene often.

I am fascinated with folks who do things every day for a year... wear the same dress (http://www.littlebrowndress.com/) or not buy things for a year (http://judithlevine.com/index.html). When I think of making a year long commitment to something, it has to be volunteering. Considering G's commitment to Baltimore and my commitment to connecting with community... it just makes sense.

No comments: