22 February 2008

Week 2!

This week has flown by! On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings I spent time in the campaign office gearing up for our big community event next Tuesday evening. While I was there Tuesday night, another volunteer in the office who I had never met said, “hey are you that girl that volunteers every day?” I guess word is traveling around! She asked me if I work on top of the volunteering… I said, “yes, I have a full-time job”. She was surprised. I can say that I am feeling tired, but it is the best tired I can think of at this time in my life. I have the opportunity to give back. I have the opportunity to give my time. I don’t have a ton of money, but I can give my time, my ear, my voice. I am lucky.

On Tuesday afternoon, I read again with Davis and Mya. I learned all about Jedi training with Davis and I was surprised to hear that volunteering in one’s community was not a key component of Jedi training. I was, however, pleased to read that peaceful conflict resolution was their first line of defense in a battle with the Dark Side. Maybe Gandhi learned it from the Jedis or was it the other way around?

I also read a book about spiders with Mya. I learned that Mya’s sister regularly eats spider webs, she can spell her sister’s name really fast, and her favorite food is Mongolian Beef. I am learning so much! (In case you were wondering, Mya’s High School Musical valentines were a big hit!)

TOTAL VOLUNTEER HOURS as of 2/22/08: 24.75

No comments: